The theme for the 2020 International Youth Day Celebration is “ Youth Engagement for Global Action*
The United Nations General Assembly in 1999, endorsed the recommendation made by the World Conference of Ministers Responsible for Youth that 12 August be declared International Youth Day.
* The theme for the 2020 International Youth Day Celebration is “ Youth Engagement for Global Action* ”
* The theme seeks to highlight the ways in which the engagement of young people at the local, national and global levels is enriching national and multilateral institutions and processes, as well as draw lessons on how their representation and engagement in formal institutional politics can be significantly enhanced.
* Traditionally, Nigeria through this Ministry commemorates the Day with a week-long activities culminating in the grand finale on August 12 where Mr. President addresses the Nigerian youth in a nationwide broadcast.
* Nigeria through the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development is commemorating the 2020 IYD in collaboration with the National Youth Council of Nigeria led by its President Amb. Sukubo Sar-Igbe Sukubo and the UNFPA.
* The event will be hosted by His Imperial Majesty Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi Ojaja II, the Ooni of Ife Ooni Palace Ile Ife Osun State.
FEDERAL MINISTRY OF YOUTH AND SPORTS DEVELOPMENT