FEDERATIONS AND ELITE ATHLETES DEPARTMENT
The Federations and Elite Athletes Department (FEAD) under the Federal Ministry of Youth & Sports Development is mandated to drive the activities of Elite Athletes and all the 40 recognized National Sports Federations in Nigeria in order to ensure successful participation in their respective National, Continental and International programmes.
The mandate of the Department is to provide administrative and management services to National Sports Federations and to direct, coordinate, review the budget of each Federation as well as to consistently carry out monitoring and supervision of the activities and programmes of all the Federations locally and internationally.
The Department is saddled with the following responsibilities:
1. Initiate policies on National Sports Federations and Elite Athletes Development.
2. Coordinate the activities of National Federations;
3. Coordinate Olympic and Paralympic sports to which Nigeria is affiliated as a voting member;
4. Leverage programmes that will improve podium success of our elite athletes;
5. Ensure sustainable sports development in the country;
6. Develop and classify coaches to ensure athletes have the right basic and advance skills;
7. Regulate coaching as profession and develop a data bank for Coaches;
8. Ensure adequate preparation and participation of Senior National Teams at National, Continental and International Competitions/Games/Championships.
9. Ensure adequate preparations and participation of Team Nigeria at African Games, Commonwealth, Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.
The Department is headed by Mrs. Tayo Oreweme, a Director of the Sports Cadre. The Department has three divisions, each supervised by a Deputy Director namely; National Sports Federations (Able), Able Elite Athletes Development; and Coaching and Para Sports.
Coordination of National Sports Federations
As part of its cardinal mandates, the Department coordinates activities of the 38 National Sports Federations recognized by the Ministry by providing administrative and management services to them to ensure a sustainable sports development in Nigeria.
In administering the Federations, the Department undertakes the following specific activities:
(i.) Managing and Coordinating the National Sports Federations Activities;
(ii.) Coordinating Preparations and Participation towards Multi Sports Competitions, e.g Olympic and Paralympic Games, Commonwealth Games and African Games. These major Games takes place once in every four (4) years.
(iii.) Development of Coaches: The Ministry mostly engages the services of coaches employed by the States as at today. A performance driven modalities for coaches’ employment at the National level is being worked out by FEAD.
(iv.) Coordination of Elections into the Boards of Federations: Introduction of full democratization system and coordination of election process into Boards of National Sports Federations.